2 turnips (medium, trimmed and peeled, about 1 pound)
1/4 cup dried shrimp
4 dried shiitake mushrooms
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
11/2 tsps gluten free soy sauce
1 cup rice flour (finely ground)
2 tsps olive oil
oyster sauce (for serving)
chili sauce (for serving)
- Soak dried shrimp and shitake mushrooms in hot water for one hour, using a wet paper towel to keep mushrooms submersed in water.
- Finely shred turnips in a food processor using a hand grater. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain turnips, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Return cooked turnips to pot.
- Finely chop rehydrated shrimp and mushrooms. Add to turnips and cook for another 5 minutes. Cool.
- Add reserved cup of cooking liquid, pepper, olive oil, soy sauce and rice flour to turnips and mix until well blended. Pour into two mini loaf pans. Steam for one hour. Cool at room temperature and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove turnip cake from pan and slice into ½” pieces. Heat oil in a skillet. Place turnip cake slices in pan and fry on each side until golden brown. Serve with oyster sauce and chili sauce.